Followers

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Simple Baby Blanket

I decided to share with you my favorite method of making snugly baby blankets.


Supplies Needed: 2 yards of fabric ( 1 yard for front and 1 yard for the backing), 1 yard of batting, 2 packages of double bias tape, and according sewing thread thread.

Step 1: Pre-wash all fabric and steam and press.


Step 2: Trim fabric

Step 3: Lay backing fabric facing down on a smooth surface, lay batting on top of fabric and smooth out, and then lay top fabric facing outwards on top.


Step 4: Pin together the sandwich of fabric and batting together.


Step 5: Quilt/sew together the layers of the blanket.

I use the strips on the backing to as guide to help sew in a straight line.

As you can see the stitching appears on the font of the blanket with a neat clean appearance.

Step 6: Arrange bias tape to cover over all raw edges of the blanket, and pin/clip in place. I normally secure the bias tape on one unfolded side, and then refolding the tape to hide the stitching.

I prefer starting at the edge of the blanket when I secure the the binding tape.

To hide the overlapping/end. I sew on top of the beginning portion of the binding.
I folded back the binding to original position when it came of the package.



Step 7: Sew bias tape/binding on to the blanket, and your finished!


1 comment:

Ebster The Mormonhippie said...

Oh, thanks for this! I'd really like to make a quilt sometime.